The Frederick Woman’s Civic Club (FWCC) celebrated its 100th anniversary in 2011. Organized by 18 local women on April 24, 1911, it was originally known as the Frederick Civic Club and annual dues were 50 cents!
The following year, 1912, FWCC became part of the General Federation of Women’s Clubs (GFWC), a congressionally-chartered organization with headquarters in Washington, DC. We are also a member of the GFWC Maryland Federation of Women’s Clubs, Inc.
The ways FWCC has improved the lives of local residents is long and impressive, reflecting the changing needs of the Frederick community over our first 100 years.
Here are some of the major accomplishments during our first 50 years:
- Organized the first playground and day care center
- Helped sponsor the first public library
- Campaigned for a clean city. This included asking the mayor to enforce anti-spitting laws!
- Worked to include women on jury duty
- Encouraged women to vote
- Promoted better lighting and sanitation in the schools
- Urged the purchase of the city watershed to protect and improve the water supply
Over the second 50 years, club members continued to be a driving force in major changes:
- Establishment of a barrier-free community, including accessible sidewalk ramps, special parking areas and accessible doorways
- Creation of a program for victims of domestic violence in Frederick County that led to the establishment of Heartly House
- Incorporation and establishment of a non-profit organization to support the Frederick County Child Advocacy Center
What is past is prologue. The FWCC continues to be a driving force for a better, safer, and more inclusive community for all Frederick residents.
Become a part of FWCC history
We are looking for women that want to make a difference in our community! For more information about becoming a member of our club, please email us!